We’re just 9 days away from the start of the 2016 NFL Draft on Thursday, April 28 @8p.m. ET. Here is my mock draft for the first 10 picks. (Team needs in parentheses)
- Los Angeles Rams (QB, WR, DB)
- Jared Goff, QB, Cal – Some people like Carson Wentz as the better quarterback, but I think Goff will be a very good pro QB and this is the best choice for the Rams at #1.
- Cleveland Browns (QB, WR, DE)
- Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota St. – The Browns need a lot of things but, with what seems to be a recurring theme, they need a QB again this year. Now that the Rams are at #1 and with Goff off the board and if the Browns don’t trade down, I think the choice hear is going to be Wentz. I don’t like him as much as Goff but I think he too can be a solid NFL QB.
- San Diego Chargers (OL, DL, DB)
- Laremy Tunsil, OT, Ole Miss – This pick is an easy one. The Chargers can use a dominant left tackle and Tunsil is by far the best one in this draft class. He should provide Philip Rivers with solid protection for as long as Rivers is the QB in San Diego.
- Dallas Cowboys (DE, DB, RB)
- Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio St. – Some people think the Cowboys should take a QB in this years draft, maybe even in the first round if one falls to them. The reasoning behind this is because Romo is getting old and his health seems to decline each year. In my opinion I don’t think they need to go in that direction. They need to get a play maker on defense and I think that guy is Bosa. If they really do want to draft a QB I think they can wait around for another QB later in the draft.
- Jacksonville Jaguars (OL, LB, DB)
- Jalen Ramsey, DB, Florida St. – The Jags could use a shutdown corner on defense and I think Ramsey is that guy. He also has the ability to be a play maker on special teams if Jacksonville wants to use him that way as well.
- Baltimore Ravens (LB, DB, OL)
- Vernon Hargreaves III, DB, Florida – I think the Ravens go defensive back with this pick and with Ramsey off the board the next best one is Hargreaves III.
- San Francisco 49ers (WR, OL, LB)
- Laquon Treadwell, WR, Ole Miss – With Chip Kelly in town now, I really believe Kaepernick may have a chance to thrive in that offense. So unlike some people I don’t see QB as necessarily a top need. I think the Kelly/Kaepernick duo could make this offense explosive. Add to that an explosive wide receiver like Treadwell who has the ability to run over guys after the catch and I think the 49ers have a huge turnaround from last season. I think if they keep Kaepernick, and are able to draft Treadwell they will make the playoffs this season.
- Philadelphia Eagles (DB, OL, RB)
- Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio St. – It might be a little early to take a running back, but Elliott is a tremendous talent and I think he would be a good fit in Philadelphia. I also think he will give them what they were hoping for out of Murray, and then some.
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers (DL, DB, OL)
- Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson – The Bucs could use help on the defensive line and I think Lawson would be a good fit here.
- New York Giants (OL, DL, LB).
- Myles Jack, LB, UCLA – Call me crazy, but I think this guy can be the best linebacker the Giants have had since Lawrence Taylor. He is a play maker and would make a huge impact on this defense. Those are some bold statements but I think he has the ability to live up to them.
How do you see the first 10 picks playing out?